Thursday, May 10, 2012

Spring Break pt. 5: Rondy

Once we got into Anchorage, found our hotel and got settled into our "deluxe" accommodations, we were ready to hit the town.  Right outside our hotel was a Rondy shuttle stop which is marked by the metal Fur Rondy signs you see Mom standing next to here.  It was definitely  nice to have that ability to just hop on a shuttle and get around that route if we wanted.
One of our first tasks was getting to the stores and getting the shopping done and out of the way with.  My friend Matt from work had a rental car and so willingly picked us up and took us around.  It was nice because I had never driven in Anchorage, only ridden when I first got here in August.  That was quite the ride then.  We were all over the place!  Now, I knew that I might need to pay a little more attention as Mom and I had talked about renting a car for the rest of our time.  Anyhow, we hit the stores and Mom learned about Bush Orders and how you just leave your stuff there for them to ship to you at Wal-Mart.  It's wonderful.  I brought a cooler and got the cold stuff from Costco.  Don't tell the hotel, but it sat on their roof outside our window the whole time we were there!  How convenient, Automatic fridge!  Once we were done with the shopping, we decided to hit up Red Robin for some dinner.  Big mistake!  Entire dinner comped...that beautiful dessert you see is the only thing we paid for.

We partook in a lot of the Rondy activities that were available.  You'll see we hit the Charlotte Jensen Native Arts Market where you can get so many different types of Native Art.  When I saw the title of it, connections were made between the Jensen Arctic Museum at Western Oregon University and this.  Same family?  I'm guessing I might be right.  We also hit up the snow sculptures which weren't in top form as they had been snowed on.  Pictures there were a little rough because there was a grey sky instead of a blue one to take pictures, but I'm sure you'll see the forms.   I was impressed by some of the fur products available.  I had seen a wolf hat on a man at the resort and found this one in a shop and they let me try it on.  A bit forward for me, but it was good for a picture.  Mom, however, found the more "risqué" area of the shop.







We enjoyed sites and sounds of downtown Anchorage, some late at night while searching (unsuccessfully) for geocaches.  Our hotel view was of the carnival and we were just far enough away that we didn't hear it.  The Ulu Factory was just over the road.  We thought it would be fun to go and see.  HA, tourist trap.  Good thing we don't fall for those things and good thing it was free!  The Alaskan Experience Theater was somewhat informational.  Some updating is needed for sure and we were robbed because the hydraulics that simulate the Great Alaskan Earthquake didn't work.  We did have fun, I enjoyed every minute with Mom and I know that even though we didn't see the Northern Lights, we still got to experience some of Alaska together.

Horse and Buggy Ride to Orso's

Explaining the Blanket Toss to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment